Saturday, May 26, 2012

And now for the little miracle given by God to the world of quilting... Watch her pucker up!

Some batting is designed to shrink after you have sewn the quilt together and then wash it - this is done to give the quilt an antique effect/finish.  The quilted fabric puckers when the batting shrinks in the wash... yes, this is a desired effect for quilters who love the whole 'antique quilt' look - like me!

In this quilt the colours I chose mimic the colours of the 1800's, known in the quilting world as 'Civil War' colours/fabrics - of which there are a few 'Civil War Reproduction Fabrics' within my selection. This is my favourite era in quilting history.  The 'Civil War' refers to the American Civil War.  I love this era, not for the war, but for the fabrics and the era, itself.  The simplicity of the time and the way of life, and on the whole, a more God-fearing time, even though it was a tough time.  This is my perception of the era.

For me, Little House on the Prairie (a true story which I grew up watching on TV in South Africa as a little girl) and Quilting, go hand in hand!  I now have the full collection of DVD's of 'Little House on the Prairie' and have been watching an episode every night during the making of the 'Waves for Tommy' quilt, as my way of connecting with the period (the days of the pioneers) and relaxing from the sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment